Federal Pell Grant
The Federal Pell Grant is the largest federal grant program ans is the foundation of a students's total "aid package." Eligibility is determined by the federal government from the information provided by parents and students on the FAFSA. The Pell Grant is paid based on the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) and the number of units a student is enrolled in on the Census Date (Freeze Date) each semester at the end of the add/drop period.
|12 or more units
|9 to 11.5 units
|6 to 8.5 units
|Less than 1/2 time
|Less than 6 units
Your enrollment status will be frozen after the add/drop period each semester and will be the basis for your Pell Grant refund. Once your Pell Grant award has been processed and your enrollment status for the semester has been determined it will not be adjusted if you add units after the Census date (Freeze Date). The The Census Date (Freeze Date) for the Fall and Spring semesters along with the main disbursement/refund dates are posted on the Payment, Refunds, & Direct Deposit page.
Summer Pell Grant
To be eligible to receive a Summer Pell Grant, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must have completed financial aid file for the 2020-2021 school year at City College
- You must not be disqualified based on the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards for Financial Aid.
- If you were disqualified for the Fall or Spring semester, you will need to submit a new appeal for the Summer to be considered for a Summer Pell Grant.
- You qualify for a 2020-2021 Federal Pell Grant and you did not receive your full (100%) Pell Grant award for the school year.
- You must enroll in all of your Summer classes for all summer sessions up front. The Census Date (Freeze Date) is July, 1, 2021
- You must not have reached the Pell Grant Lifetime eligibility of 600%
The 600% total eligibility applies at all schools and colleges. However, once you have enred a Bachelor's Degree, you are no longer eligible for a Pell Grant even if you haven't reached the 600% limit. You must continue to meet and maintain SAP to remain eligible each year. It is very important that you follow your educational plan so you can successfully complete your degree or transfer to a four year university before your eligibility expires.
**Note: If you have already received your full Pell Grant (100%) for the 2020-2021 school year (Fall enrolled in 12 units and Spring enrolled in 12 units), you may still be eligible to receive an additional Pell Grant funds for Summer. You must enroll in at least 6 units for Summer and meet the criteria listed above.
- FAFSA application date
- File complete date
- Greatest financial need
- Enroll in at least 6 units
FSEOG awards typically are awarded for $400 per semester.