Thumbnail of What is Federal Work-Study?


Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides part-time jobs for undergraduate students with financial need allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.

Here's a quick overview of Federal Work-Study:

  • It provides part-time employment while you are enrolled in school.
  • It's available to undergraduate students with financial need.
  • It's available to full-time or part-time students.
NEED A JOB? Please contact Lorie Mendoza or Sheila M Davis for more information, if you are interested in participating.

To be eligible for Federal Work-Study, you must


  • be enrolled in at least 6 units
  • have unmet need of at least $5,000
  • have met the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards in Good Standing and you do not have to submit a financial aid appeal for any reason

How much can I be awarded?


Awarding of FWS funds is extremely limited due to the small amount of funds received each year. FWS awards range from $1,000 to $5,000 per school year. Students must be in Good Standing based on the Financial Aid SAP policies to be considered for FWS. Students that must appeal will not be considered for FWS.

How much can I earn and how often do I get paid?


Students are paid a salary that is at least equal to the current minimum wage, but all current FWS jobs pay more than the minimum wage. FWS is different from the other financial aid programs in that a student is allocated a certain amount of money to earn. As work on the job is completed, a monthly time card is submitted for the hours worked just as at a regular job. Once a month, the student receives a paycheck for the hours worked for the previous month.


Can I work as many hours as I want?


No. The amount of work can't exceed your total FWS award authorization, or until the end of Spring 2021 semester, whichever occurs first. The maximum amount of hours is 25 hour per week. There is no guaranty that students will continue to receive FWS for the following year.


What if I have a conviction?


Students with convictions may be ineligible to work depending on the type and number of convictions.


Direct links to SDCCD Employment Applications.


This is a list of direct links to online applications for FWS student positions.

Non-Academic Non-Classified (NANC)

FWS - W1005 Reader Assistant

FWS - W1007 Student Aide I

FWS - W1008 Student Aide II

FWS - W1009 Tutor I

FWS - W1010 Tutor II (America Reads)