In our photography program, you will work in some of the best darkrooms, studios, and labs in the country. Film or digital, fine art or commercial, our goal is to prepare you for the real world of earning a living with your camera... or just enjoy a really great hobby.
We offer courses in black and white, digital imaging, Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, studio lighting, portraiture, website creation, and much, much more.
The Certificate of Achievement and the Associate of Arts degree are designed for students seeking employment in the photography field. We also offer Certificates in Freelance Photography, Commercial Photography, Black & White Darkroom Photography, Digital Imaging, Studio Photography, and Fine Art Photography.
Promo Video Produced by SDCCD:
While this list is not all-inclusive, here are some careers that require education beyond the associate degree:
- Advertising photographer
- Commercial photographer
- Fashion photographer
- Food photographer
- Editorial photographer/journalist
- Industrial photographer
- Portrait/wedding photographer
- Photo researcher
- Photographic artist
- Photographic printer
- Photography instructor
- Photo laboratory technician
- Stock photographer
Photography Transfer Information
Common university majors related to the field of Photography include:
- Art and Design
- Art Photography
- Film and Electronic Arts
- Visual and Public Arts
Course Requirements for Transfer Students
Students who plan to transfer to a four year college or university and earn a bachelor's degree in this discipline should consult with a counselor or visit the Transfer/Career Center to determine the appropriate major preparation courses for their specific transfer institution and major. Transfer students may also earn an Associate of Arts degree in Liberal Arts and Sciences with an emphasis. This degree may be individually tailored to each student's specific transfer requirements in order to provide the most efficient path to transfer. More information on transfer programs and procedures is available in the Transfer Programs section of the catalog.
Dave Eichinger, Professor
Beginning and Intermediate B&W, Portraiture, Lighting, Infrared, Toy Camera, Composition, and more.
I chose photographic education as my intended career path when I was 16. My high school photography teacher obviously lit a fire within me and I am forever grateful. Bachelor's and Master's degrees from CSULB, plus over 50 units from UCLA, UCSC, OCC, and others. I have been teaching photography since 1980.
I began shooting portraits and weddings when I was 19, a mere freshman in college. I freelanced throughout college until I began teaching full time. While teaching, I have freelanced doing commercial work, weddings, and more.
I've lived most of my life in SoCal (L.A. county) before moving to San Diego. My
personal photography is primarily B&W, and I have a special affinity for infrared
(film and digital) along with toy cameras / pinhole cameras. When I'm not at City
College, I like to travel with my cameras (Iceland, Europe, the U.K.), and other favorite
pastimes include biking, hanging out with family, friends, and 'old' students, as
well as trying every new restaurant I can find time for. My other favorite "hobby"
involves anything chocolate... especially if an affogato is on the menu.
My website: http://eichfoto.com
My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/eichinger.dave
Success Stories: San Diego City College Photography Graduates
- Nicky Ollerton http://www.nickyalexandria.com
- Jason Reimer http://www.jasonpaulreimer.com
- Lyndsey Best http://www.lindseybest.com
- Ashley DuChene http://www.ashleyduchene.com
- Walter Wilson http://www.walterwilsonstudios.com
- Stephanie Fong http://www.stephaniefongphotography.com
- Rebecca Joelson http://www.rebeccajoelson.com
- Krisnoff Padua http://www.krisnoff.com
- Edward Honaker http://www.edwardhonaker.com
- Michael Chao http://www.michaelchaophoto.com
- Jennifer Magallon http://jmagphotography.com
- Nicole Espina http://www.nicoleespinaphotography.com
- Lynette McCarthy http://www.lynettemccarthy.com
- Joanna Szoloch http://joannaszoloch.com
- Ann Le http://www.annle.net
- Wilmar Flores http://www.wilmarflores.com
- Ashlee Hayden http://ashleehaydenphoto.com
- Monica Carswell http://www.monicacarswell.com
- Natalia McKevitt http://www.nataliamckevittphotography.com
- Alan Hickey http://www.hickeyphoto.com
- Renata Spenelli http://renata-spinelli.blogspot.com
- Blake Freechtle http://www.blakefreechtle.com
- Ferdie Morales http://www.ferdiemorales.com
- Tatum Kathleen http://www.tatumkathleenphotography.com
- Abi Janus http://www.abigailjanusphotography.com
- Kent Mecurio http://www.kentmercurio.com
- Rene Salvador http://www.renesalvador.com
- Claire Schneider http://www.claireschneider.com
- Danny Suhendar http://dannysuhendar.com
- Terri Rippee http://www.rippeephoto.com
- Jair Flores http://www.jairflores.com
- Sunny Reed http://www.spiritofnaturephoto.com
- Cariely Benitez http://www.carielybenitez.com
- Riikka Kylaheiko http://kylaheiko.net
- Ruvi Leider http://www.ruvileider.com
Links to Interviews, our Luxe Gallery, and More
News Clip - KUSI-SD on Photo 360:
Program Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate competent use of reciprocal exposures utilizing shutter speeds and apertures.
- Utilize compositional elements in the creation of original photographs in various formats.
- Develop black and white film and make gelatin silver prints in a traditional darkroom.
- Utilize Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop in digital color correction and image manipulation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history of photography and the role of photographs in today’s society.
- Illustrate abilities in various professional presentation techniques utilizing archival mounting and matting materials.
- Apply theories and principles of photographic light and lighting control for both film and digital capture.
- Create a marketing plan and business materials such as letterhead and business cards.
- Produce professional quality, colorcorrected photographs utilizing archival pigment and chromogenic materials.
- Produce professional portfolios suitable for sharing with potential clients or grad school entrance.