California law requires all public colleges to determine if a students are CA residents or non-residents. California has a very specific definition of what makes you a resident for tuition purposes. 

Students who would like to be reclassified CA resident have the burden to provide documentation. You will need to prove that for 1 year & 1 day before the start of the semester you have been physically present in CA and show intent to make California your permanent home. Your presence in the state alone does not make you a resident.  

Two documents from the "intent" list will be required to fulfill California resident

The following are "intent" documentation:

  • California state(540) and federal(1040) tax returns with W-2 forms (required)
  • California automobile registration
  • California driver's license and/or California ID card
  • California voter registration
  • Military personnel: Active Duty orders and Military ID

One document will be required to fulfill the physical presence evidence 

The following are examples of "physical presence" documentation:

  • Bank statements for California account
  • California license for professional practice/membership in California organization
  • Petitioner for divorce in California
  • Utility bills (i.e. San Diego Gas & Electric)
  • Proof of employment (pay stubs)
  • Rental agreement
  • DD-214 form
  • Verification of public assistance


As an eligible CA High School Graduate, please see below:

AB540 California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request For Eligible California High School Graduates

*Official Sealed High School Transcripts are required with Diploma or GED Certificate.

For assistance with your residency please call (619) 887-4989

Residency office hours:
Monday-Thursday 8:00am-5:00pm ; Friday 8:00am-3:00pm