Q: How is COVID-19 effecting the nursing education program (NEP)?

A: COVID-19 related updates regarding the NEP program or the SDCC district may be found on the main NEP webpage or the SDCCD COVID-19 information webpage.

General Program Questions


Q: How is the program accredited?

A: The NEP is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and the California Board of Registered Nurses (BRN)


Q: How much does the general program cost? How much does the LVN to RN program cost?

A: The generic RN program at this time is about $9000 for the two year program. The LVN-RN program is about $6000 for the three semesters.


Q: What is the student portal? What do I use it for?

A: It is the location of your personal information and student records such as course work, educational plan, etc. 


Q: Is my Mesa or Miramar College student i.d. number the same for City College?

A: Yes, the i.d. numbers are the same for all three colleges under the San Diego Community College District.


Q: How long does it take to complete the prerequisite course work?

A: Prequisite coursework may take 4 semesters or more depending on how many units you take each semester and how quickly you can get the classes. Please note, science courses are often impacted. Please speak to your academic advisor to develop a personalized education plan.


Q: What should I do during the academic year in which I've applied to the program but have not yet been accepted/started?

A: Students may take courses needed for transfer to a BSN program. Pharmacology and Nutrition classes may also be beneficial prior to starting the NEP. In the semester prior to starting the program, NRSE 92: Learning Strategies for Nursing Student Success (1 unit) is offered to the incoming cohort of accepted nursing students.


Q: How long is the nursing education program?

A: The generic NEP is taught in 4 semesters over 2 years.  


Q: What are the days/times of classes?

A: Specific days and times for classes vary based on the course, clinical assignments, scheduled simulation lab hours, etc. However, you can plan to be either on campus or in clinical Monday through Friday every week.


Q: How many hours per week is needed for studying while in the program?

A: While this varies by individual, you may plan on spending a minimum of 3 hours studying for each hour (unit) of course work.


Q: How many LVNs are accepted to the program per year?

A: While this is always based on space available, the typical LVN cohort is usually around 12-15 students every year.


Q: Is there a military medical experience transition program?

A: At this time, the City College NEP does not offer a military medical experience transition program.


Q: Does the nursing education program offer any specialized nursing training?

A: The NEP offers a baseline nursing education to qualify for licensure as a registered nurse according the the California BRN requirements. At this time, we do not offer any specialized training in any one area of nursing.

Application Questions


Q: Can I apply to this program if I was unsuccessful in another program?

A: Yes, you may still apply to this program.


Q: Can I apply with a student visa?

A: Students with a student visa are not accepted into the NEP. You must have permanent residency status.


Q: How soon do I need to have my transcripts from other schools submitted for evaluation? Do I need to request transcript evaluation for courses taken at Mesa or Miramar College? Do LVN transcripts need to be evaluated?

A: To receive college credit for courses taken at another institution, transcripts should be submitted to the district office (see the General Information Packet) for evaluation by January 1 of the application year. Transcripts from Mesa or Miramar college or LVN programs do not need to be evaluated. 


Q: Do I need to include official or unofficial transcripts in my application?

A: You must include official transcripts from all schools (including LVN programs) outside of the San Diego Community College District in your application. You may submit unofficial transcripts for courses taken at Mesa, Miramar, or City Colleges. 


Q: How is my GPA calculated?

A: There is a GPA calculator on the district website.  For the NEP, two GPAs are reviewed.  The first GPA is calculated from your 3 science courses. The second GPA is calculated from the fixed-set coursework. Please note, you must complete all coursework prior to submitting your application to receive the allocated points for GPA on your application. 


Q: Can science classes be retaken for higher grade even if I passed the course(s) with a "C" or above?

A: Yes, you may retake the course for a higher grade. 


Q: Can courses from other colleges be transferred for credit? Are foreign degrees accepted?

A: Credit for courses taken from other colleges is determined by the evaluator's office. Courses taken at other accredited colleges are generally accepted. Foreign classes or degrees may be accepted but must be evaluated by the Foreign Transcript Evaluation Service. Forms for this service are available in the counseling office.


Q: Will AP classes count towards the fixed set coursework?

A: Yes, transcripts showing AP credit must be submitted to the evaluator’s office on or before January 1 for review.


Q: How much does the TEAS exam cost?

A: Depending on where the TEAS exam is taken, it generally costs $75-$100. For information on finding TEAS exam locations, see the main NEP website under Application Information.


Q: What is considered a passing score on the TEAS exam?

A: For your application to be considered for acceptance to the NEP, you must score at least 62% on EACH subscale of the TEAS exam. Please see the TEAS policy in the General Information Packet for additional TEAS exam requirements.


Q: How many times can I take the TEAS exam?

A: After the second failed attempt, you must contact the NEP for required remediation. After the third failed attempt, you must wait five years to retake. Please see the TEAS policy in the General Information Packet for more information.


Q: How do I remediate for a failed TEAS exam? Why should I remediate with a plan outlined by the nursing education department if I fail the first time?

A: Please see the TEAS policy in the General Information Packet for remediation information.


Q: How is language fluency proved/evaluated?

A: You must obtain a letter on letterhead from an employer or faculty member or a transcript from a foreign high school in the language of fluency.


Q: What counts as an allied health certificate and/or work or volunteer experience? 

A: This is ultimately determined by the application committee, but some examples of certified or volunteer experience previously considered include medical interpreting, paramedic, EMT, CNA, MA, and Dental Hygienist.


Q: Do I have to complete all of my immunizations before I can apply to the program?

A: No, you will have time to complete them in the 8-9 months between your acceptance and start dates, though you may start gathering and updating immunizations prior to applying. Please note: if your hepatitis titre is negative you must repeat the hepatitis series, which takes about 9 months to complete. 


Q: Do I need to set up a Complio account before I apply?

A: No, please do not set up your Complio account until you have been instructed to do so by the Student Success Advisor or a NEP representative.  The timing of the account set up ensures you will not have to repeat requirements (e.g. background checks) while in the program. If the account is set up before instructed to do so, you may incur additional costs as items expire during your program.


Q: Is there a waitlist or applicant "runner ups"?

A: No, the program does not keep a waitlist or list of alternative applicants. If the student is not accepted, the student may reapply the following year.


Q: Can I defer my acceptance to the program to the following year?

A: You may defer for one year with reason and permission granted by the Dean. If you do not start the following year, you will not be allowed to attend the NEP at SDCC.

 Post-Graduation and Nursing Field Questions


Q: Are ADNs able to get nursing jobs?

A: Yes, our ADN graduates obtain jobs in San Diego, other parts of California, or in other states post graduation. However, some facilities (e.g. Magnet facilities) have some restrictions on hiring ADN-level nurses. Therefore, to be a competitive ADN job candidate, we highly recommend planning on continuing your education to at least the BSN level post-graduation. 


Q: Am I automatically accepted into any RN to BSN programs? What is the cost of these programs?

A: Dual acceptance is granted by Pt. Loma Nazarene University's (PLNU) RN to BSN program.  The cost for PLNU's BSN program varies by year but is estimated between $16,000 to $20,000 (though cost should be confirmed directly with PLNU).  The NEP also offers a designated roadmap to San Diego State University's RN to BSN program.  Many programs also offer online RN to BSN or RN to MSN programs, many of which are accelerated programs (see Cal State University San Marcos and National University). Please contact programs you may be interested in directly to obtain enrollement options and cost information.