Written by: Paula Miranda, Professional Development Coordinator
Hello, everyone! Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to post an update for October, but please read on for important reminders and to see what is happening with professional development for the next month.
In this update:
- Technical Issues
- Spring 2020 Flex Week
- Upcoming Workshops
- PDAC Updates
- Happy Holidays
Some faculty are continuing to experience problems logging into the Flex system. There was also an email sent on November 1 by the District Flex office which had an incorrect URL that caused some confusion. If you are still unable to log in, please contact me and I'll do my best to help, email@example.com.
Regardless of these technical issues, the District will still dock paychecks for faculty (adjuncts, specifically; contract faculty Flex obligation is due in Spring) who have not met their Fall 2019 Flex obligation by the deadline, which is December 9 (see chart below), so please make sure you can log in!
The information below is taken from the District Flex website, under Guidelines. It is also available in the District's 2019-2020 Instructional Improvement ("Flex") Handbook, which is updated every academic year.
|Adjunct Faculty||Contract Faculty|
|Deadline to submit Independent
Project (IP) Proposals
|Monday, November 4, 2019||Monday, November 4, 2019|
|Deadline to complete Flex
obligation for Fall 2019
|12pm on Monday, December 9, 2019||n/a|
|Deadline to complete Flex
obligation for Spring 2020
|12pm on Monday, December 9, 2019||12pm on Tuesday, May 26, 2020|
Spring 2020 Flex Week
- Spring 2020 Convocation: January 30, 2020 | 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM | Flex #1609
- School Meetings: January 30, 2020 | 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
- Chairs Academy: January 27, 2020 | 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM |Flex #1642
- Adjunct Night: January 30, 2020 | 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM | Flex #1643
Please submit the Professional Development / Flex Activity Submission form to add your school and department meetings to the District Flex system, as well as our professional development calendar.
- Tue, 11/19/19 - Recognizing and facilitating inclusivity in the classroom
- Thu, 11/21/19 - Presentation on Supporting/Teaching Men of Color in the Community College
- Sat, 11/23/19 - An Evening of Dance
- Wed, 12/4/19 - Strategies for Student Success: What Every Professor Needs to Know! (2 sessions)
- Thu, 12/5/19 - Block Party!
- Fri, 12/6/19 - Introduction to Data Literacy
- Fri, 12/6/19 - Attention (Time) Management
- Mon, 12/9/19 - MS Office Skills Training: Intermediate Excel (for Classified and Supervisors)
For a full list of scheduled activities, please visit the PD Events page.
The Professional Development Advisory Committee (PDAC) is working hard this semester to streamline the professional development funding request process. We are also working to roll out a new pd needs assessment survey, and are reviewing our workshop and funding evaluation instruments. Please see our work plans below:
I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge our colleagues for their efforts in supporting and/or coordinating professional development activities in their departments.
- Ira-Marie Garcia and for processing Flex requests and providing on-site support
- Angela Testado for running Flex reports, creating PD Advisory Committee minutes, and serving on the PD Needs and Evaluations workgroup
- Josolyn Hill for leading PD efforts for Counseling & Assessment staff
- Sarah Hawkins and Heather McGray for actively leading PD efforts in Life Sciences
- Anna Rogers for leading effort to streamline funding request process
- Mona Alsoraimi-Espiritu for coordinating orientation and Reading Apprenticeship training for CCAP (College and Career Access Pathways) faculty teaching at local high schools
- Sean Ryan for coordinating Caring Campus - Commitment 2 efforts
We are all in this together and I am so glad to be able to work with such kind and dedicated people!
The professional development office will be closed for the week of November 25-29.
Wishing you a restful time with your loved ones!
For inquiries about this update, or for questions, concerns, or ideas regarding professional learning and development at City College, please contact Paula Miranda.