Meet with a Counselor
If you are a current City College student, select "Counseling Services Start Here" from the list below to connect with a counselor.
If you currently participate in a special program (Dreamers, DSPS, EOP&S students), select your program from the list below to meet with a program counselor.
Your Covid-19 vaccination status must be updated via the district's "Cleared4" website in order to receive any in-person counseling services. Click here to watch a video on how to upload your vaccination card.
For more information visit the SDCCD Covid-19 Information for Students website
Counseling Services Start Here
Before getting started with our online counseling services, read the Online Counseling Terms & Conditions and the Privacy statement
In order to meet with a counselor you must:
Have an active SDCCD application on file
Be pursuing a major at City College.
Submit official transcripts of all prior colleges attended.
Have a current email address in your mySDCCD portal. (please log in to your portal at https://myportal.sdccd.edu/ to confirm before submitting your request)
*If you do not meet the criteria above, your request will be denied.
How can a Counselor assist you? Select from these options:
1) Ask the E-Counselor: All prospective and continuing students at City College can ask general counseling questions, via email, not related to personal academic records.
2) Quick Connect: students can connect with us virtually for quick questions. QC is offered Monday through Thursday 10am-1pm.
3) In-person drop-ins: come by our office (A-366) to sign up to meet with a counselor for quick questions on a first-come, first-serve basis. Remember, your proof of vaccination/Covid-19 status must be updated to meet with a counselor. See above for more information.
*Please note that there may be a wait during peak registration time.
4) Appointments: in-person and online appointments are available. Stop by or call our office to schedule, or click here to use our electronic self-scheduling system.
NOTE: All online appointments are conducted via our Zoom virtual meeting center.
If you need support, please call our department at 619-388-3540 or 619-894-6118, or stop by room A-366, during our office hours to speak with a staff member.
Prepare for your appointment
Have a list of questions ready to make sure we cover all the information you need during your session.
To help you generate questions for your appointment and start thinking ahead about your career, we encourage you to review the academic and career resources available to you:
- Degree and certificate programs list
- Career Exploration
- General Education worksheets:
- for the Associate's Degree
- for transfer to the California State University
- for transfer to the University of California
- Transfer options
- Take a Personal Growth class
Watch these videos to help you get started:
NEW STUDENTS START HERE
New Students must have an active SDCCD application. Submit an application for admission if you have not already done so.
- New Students must complete the New Student Online Orientation
- Complete the New Student Education Planning workshop on Canvas here.
- IF you still need Counseling support after completing the New Student Educational Planning workshop, you can sign up for the Power Hour workshop from the Canvas module at the end of the workshop.
If you previously attended another college, request your official transcripts to be sent to the San Diego Community College District. Since most of the staff are working remotely, an electronic copy is best. Transcripts can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org If your previous institution only allows you to order a hard copy, you can have it mailed to:
San Diego Community College District
3375 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92108
If you need assistance with the SDCCD admission application, the mySDCCD student portal, or the Canvas website, you can meet virtually with the staff in the Promise program. They provide virtual assistance Mondays-Fridays 10am -12pm.
Live Support Sessions
Live Support Meeting ID: 977 0205 9229
Live Support Days/Times: Monday-Friday from 10am-12:00pm
If you are experiencing challenges navigating the process as a new student, please call our department at 619-894-6118 to speak with a staff member to receive support during our remote operating hours.
EOPS/ CARE/ NextUp Student Counseling
If you are participating in the EOPS, CARE, or NextUp support services programs, Counselors are available to assist you.
There are three ways you can request a counseling appointment:
disAbility Support Program Counseling (DSPS)
DREAMer Student Counseling
Want to Attend City College? Start Here
If you're experiencing challenges navigating the process as a prospective new student, please call our department at 619-894-6118 to speak with a staff member to receive support during our remote operating hours.
ADDITIONAL COUNSELING SERVICES
- You do not need to meet with a Counselor to clear a prerequisite. You can complete the form and submit the request online along with supporting documentation.
- To clear a prerequisite, students need to fill out the Proof of Prerequisite or Corequisite form as well as provide supporting documentation that the prerequisite has been met. Supporting documentation may include an unofficial transcript. Screen shot of your grade is acceptable as long as your name, the name of the institution, the class, and letter grade is visible. The form as well as directions to submit the form, can be found on our District Forms & Documents website.
- Please visit our FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) website for answers to commonly asked questions.