Click on the link for information on COVID-19 Information Affecting Education Benefits
1.How will semester worksheet certifications get processed?
Semester Worksheets, Deferment Contracts, Statement of Understanding, and Class Adjustment Forms are available online. All required VA forms should be submitted online via the same link. At the top of the page you will see written instructions and a video on how to submit the forms. https://www.sdccd.edu/students/forms-and-documents.aspx
**Effective Spring 2022** Will I still be receiving my full BAH even though classes are only online? Will the VA pay for them?
3. How do I find out if the program I am interested in, will be covered by VA?
Visit The Department of Veterans Affairs, WEAMS institution search.
4.Where do I go for priority registration?
If you are currently Active Duty in the military or were discharged within the last 15 years, you may be eligible for up to 4 years of priority registration. Please submit a copy of DD-214- member page 4, or your current orders showing you are stationed in CA to our office via JIRA Click Here. Select the form/petition Verification of Military Status to obtain priority status.
5.Will the VA pay for a repeated class?
The DVA will pay for students to repeat courses where a D, F, or NP was earned. However, per San Diego Community College District Policy a student will have to petition to repeat after the 3rd
6. What is the number of units required?
|TERM||FULL TIME||3/4 TIME||1/2 TIME|
|FALL AND SPRING||12+ units||9 to 11.5 units||6 to 8.5 units|
|SUMMER (8-WEEK)||6+ units||4 to 5.5 units||3 to 3.5 units|
|SUMMER (6-WEEK)||4+ units||3 to 3.5 units||2 to 2.5 units|
|SUMMER (4-WEEK)||3+ units||2 to 3.5 units||N/A|
A semester worksheet MUST be completed each semester to be certified for benefits.
7. Can I take online classes?
If you are only enrolled in online and/or hybrid classes you will only be eligible for 50% BHA. To be eligible for full BHA you must be enrolled in one resident course. *THIS DOES NOT APPLY DURING THE PANDEMIC*
8. What happens if I drop/withdrawal/change a class?
Veterans are required to notify our office immediately when they stop attending, withdrawal, and add/drop a class. Veterans and dependents assume full liability for an overpayment and will owe money to the DVA. The DVA may deduct the funds from any federal payments. A Class Adjustment Form can be completed and submitted online: https://www.sdccd.edu/students/forms-and-documents.aspx
9. What classes will the DVA pay for?
The DVA will only pay for classes required for your major. Please refer to your Education Plan when registering for class and contact a counselor if you have any questions regarding your student education plan.
10. Who do I contact for payment issues?
For questions regarding BHA and/or book stipend please contact the DVA directly at 1-888-442-4551.
11. How do I correct my non-residency?
Veterans (Tuition Affidavit) Click Here
- Veteran will need DD214 member page 4
- Discharged in-state (option A) or out state (Option B)
- Minimum of active military service
- Eligible dependents will need their Certificate of Eligibility & DD214 for the service member.
- Complete the Veteran Affidavit form
- Veterans using Chapter 33 or 31 who were discharged with anything other than dishonorable, should complete (option B)
Spouse/Dependent of Active Duty: Click Here
Form can be completed by Mr. John Marshall's Office located at:
32nd Street, Naval Base Bldg 56, Room 116
Mr. John Marshall's Office
Phone: (619) 556-6367
Hours: (due to COVID restrictions, call to confirm hours)
The forms will need to be submitted via Jira Click Here
Active Duty Military
- Active duty military personnel must be stationed in California
- Email to email@example.com a Copy of State ID/Driver's License & Current Orders
- Military orders must indicate last activity in the state of California with future Projected Rotation Date (PRD)
- Student College Id Number
12. I am currently enrolled in an in-person course for Fall 2021. I received a email warning, that I would be required to show proof of COVID vaccine or be dropped from my course.
- Students who need to submit verification of COVID vaccine can do so via this link Submit COVID vaccine, Click Here
- Students may request an exemption from the COVID-19 vaccination requirement for medical or religious reasons. COVID exemption, Click Here
13. How do I verify my enrollment with the VA?
Students utilizing Post 9/11 (CH.33) benefits are now required to veriy enrollment each month. MHA and/or kicket payments will be withheld, if enrollment is not verified for two consecutive months.Students have the option to Opt-in via text messages to verify enrollment status. Those who do not Opt-in for text message can verify enrollment via email. An automated email will be sent on the last day of the month. Those who choose not to verify enrollment via email or text can call the ECC at 1-888-442-4451.