Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I speak to someone to get information?

A: City Line Call Center can help answer quick general questions, connect you with campus resources and give you the 4-1-1 on how to register and enroll at City College. 
Phone: 619-800-2739
Hours: Monday- Friday 8:00 AM-5:00 PM

Q: When will classes resume on-campus?

A: We are closely monitoring the situation and guidance from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as the San Diego County Public Health Office. 

Currently, all Spring classes, and Summer 2020 classes will be fully online.  No decision has been made regarding Fall 2020 classes. 

Q: Is my in-person class going online?

A: Your instructor should have communicated whether or not your class is going online.  If you did not hear from your instructor, please use our online faculty directory to contact your instructor by email.  For classes using Canvas, please visit this link.  If your class is using Zoom, please refer to our online tutorial.

Q: What is Canvas?

A: Canvas is an online "Learning Management System" (LMS) that provides classes with the ability to be conducted online.  For more questions about Canvas, please visit:

Q: Why can't I log into Canvas if I am enrolled in the course?

A: Students missing valid email addresses in Campus Solutions are unable to log into their course on Canvas. Make sure you have a valid email address on file.  You can verify your email address through mySDCCD by following the tutorial here.

Q: If my class is moving online, what do I do if I don't own a computer or have internet access?

A: Any device that can connect to the internet can be used to access online course materials and lectures.  This includes internet cell phones, tablets and laptops. Please refer to your instructor's communication regarding how to access.  Canvas and mySDCCD can be accessed online.

Resources are available for students who do not have access to internet or computer.  Please contact your instructor if you need assistance.

Q: Will attendance requirements be the same online?

A: As with all classes, the faculty will establish attendance requirements for each course, the students are expected to communicate with the instructor regarding any absences.  Faculty will communicate with students regarding any changes in their attendance practices.

Q: Will my online class be held at the same time?

A: Your instructor will communicate expectations for online learning.

Q: My class is being held "asynchronous" what does that mean?

A: Asnychronous means that the class is not held at a particular time.  You may be required to complete certain tasks by a deadline established by your instructor.  Your instructor will provide expectations for asynchronous classes.

Q: I'm not sure about taking my class online, can I change it to Pass/No Pass?

A: Students can change their class (if eligible) to Pass/No Pass until April 17th.  Please note, some classes are required for transfer and this will affect your eligibility for transfer.  Please contact a Counselor for more information.

Q: What if my class is cancelled, will there be a refund?

A: Some classes may need to be cancelled as there is not a remote teaching methodology permitted (e.g. Nursing).  These can be treated the same as other classes and student may receive an EW and a refund (assuming the class was in session).  

Financial Aid students may be impacted:

  • Loans may be reduced if units enrolled drops below half‐time (6 units) prior to the disbursement
  • Repayment of Federal funds may apply*
  • May affect Satisfactory Academic Progress status for the 2020‐2021 aid year*  

*Note: This is subject to change due to pending legislation. 

Q: How will I know if my class has been canceled?

A: If your class is cancelled, you will receive an email from mySDCCD notifying your class has been canceled.

Q: What if I am not receiving emails from SDCCD?

A: To ensure that you are receiving all SDCCD updates, make sure that you have an email address on file. You can verify your email address through mySDCCD by following the tutorial here.

Q: How do I verify enrollment or degree verification?

A: Contact:


Q: My class is going online, but I do not have internet access, are there any resources for students?

A: We are gathering a list of resources that are being made available to students.  Please continue to check back here as this list expands:

Free Internet Service:

  • Several companies including Charter, Spectrum, and Comcast have announced plans to offer free internet service for 60 days to households with students as classes are moving online amid concerns about COVID-19. Beginning March 16 Charter Communications will make its internet and WiFi services available for free for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who don't already have internet through the company.

  • WiFi hotspots will also be open for public.
    Please contact the companies at the phone numbers below directly to arrange services if you are interested.
  • Xfinity WiFi Public Hotspots

    All Xfinity WiFi Public Hotspots are now open to everyone on the “xfinitywifi” SSID. Public hotspots can be found in small/medium businesses and outdoors in commercial areas. For more information on available public hotspots visit

Q: What if I don't feel comfortable or cannot take an online class?

A: If you do not feel comfortable taking an online class, you have a few options:

  • Contact your instructor regarding any concerns you may have, they may be willing to work with you to help you feel comfortable.
  • Visit Online Learning Pathways to discover tips and tricks to take classes online.

Q: My class hasn't started yet, will it be canceled?

A: At this time, classes that begin in April, are still scheduled to start on-time.  Any changes to classes will be communicated to you by the instructor.

Q: I currently have, or will need, accommodations for my class, who should I contact?

A: Please contact the DSPS office on campus.  They will be able to assist your need for accommodations. For more information, please visit:

Q: My classes begin in April, will I be able to purchase my books from the bookstore?

A: With the campuses closed, the bookstore is working on alternative ways to provide materials to students.  Please contact your instructor or visit the bookstore page for more information:

Q: My classes were cancelled, will I be able to get a refund for the books I purchased?

A: A full refund/exchange will be issued for Bookstore purchases in new/original condition and accompanied by an SDCCD register receipt, student ID and class schedule information showing dropped class. For one week after stores reopen.

Digital materials and access codes must not be accessed to receive a refund

Q: Are we having Summer classes?

A: Currently, we are still planning to offer summer classes through an online format.  Any changes will be communicated to students.

Q: What about study abroad?

A: San Diego Community College District has cancelled all study abroad classes (including summer study abroad programs) due to the health and well-being of students and the community.

Q: How do I access my login information?

A: Support with creating or resetting mySDCCD portal login.


Click HERE for guide creating your account

Q: How do I register once in MySDCCD?

A: Student Guides for Navigating enrollment in mySDCCD


Q: How do I verify my enrollment or verify my degree?

A: Contact:

Q: I cannot continue my class(es) online, will I get a refund for my classes?

A: The refund deadline for semester-length (primary term) classes have been extended to May 8, 2020.  Students with the EW grade will be given a refund of enrollment fees and non‐resident tuition.   There will not be a refund of the student health/accident fees, student representation fees, dosimetry fees, golf fees, Associated Student membership or parking permits for classes that have already begun.

Q: Will I be dropped from classes that I have not yet paid for?

A: Students will not be dropped for non-payment this semester.  Students with an outstanding balance will have a hold placed on their account, preventing further enrollment and the awarding of a degree/certificate. 

Q: How do I obtain my 1098-T Tax form?

A: Follow the instructions below to obtain your 1098T tax form. 

  1. Log into mySDCCD at:
  2. Click the “College Student Dashboard”
  3. On the left navigation, click “My Finances”
  4. Click “View 1098-T Tax Form”
  5. On the “General” tab, under the “Tax Year” column, click the year.  In a separate window, a PDF version of the 1098-T Tax form will be displayed, which can be downloaded and printed.

IMPORTANT:  If you use a pop-up blocker, you will have to disable it to display your 1098-T Tax form.

Refer to the1098-T FAQs for additional information. You may also email with questions.

Q: How do I obtain my receipt for a payment I made online?

A: Receipts for online credit card payments are only generated by TouchNet.  Your receipt was emailed to your email address on record at the time of payment. 

Q: How do I delete a saved payment method in TouchNet?

A: When you access TouchNet through the SDCCD student portal or log in to TouchNet directly, there is a section on the right titled “My Profile Setup”. In that section, click on “Payment Profile”.  Next to your saved payment method you can click on Edit, then click Delete.

Q: Is there a Payment Plan option available?

A: Payment Plans are no longer available for Fall 2019 and Spring 2020.  There will be Payment Plan options available to eligible students for Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 during the registration periods.

Q: I continue to receive an error when processing my payment online, what should I do?

A: The following recommended settings are for devices/browsers that most commonly experience errors when processing payments online.  Please identify and follow the instructions that correspond to your device/browser, then try to complete your payment again.

First, clear your internet and browsing history.  Note, you will need to restore your settings to the initial configuration when done with the payment process.

Apple/Mac, Safari

  • Safari > Preferences > Privacy
  • Prevent cross-site = disable (uncheck box)
  • Block all cookies = disable (uncheck box)

Apple/iPhone, Safari

  • Settings > Safari
  • Block Pop-ups = disable (left position)
  • Prevent Cross-Site Tracking = disable (left position)
  • Block All Cookies = disable (left position)

Chromebook, Chrome

  • Settings >Privacy and security > Site Settings > Cookies and site data
  • Allow sites to save and read cookie data = allow (right position)
  • Block third-party cookies = disable (left position)
  • Settings >Privacy and security > Site Settings > Pop-ups and redirects
  • Pop-ups and redirects = allow (right position)
  • Settings > Privacy and security > More
  • Send a “Do Not Track” request with your browsing traffic = disable (left position)

As mentioned above, restore your settings to the initial configuration when done with the payment process.

If you verified your device/browser configuration and still cannot process your payment, you  may submit a ticket to the mySDCCD Support Desk: mySDCCD Support Desk

Q: Do I need to renew my FAFSA for next year?

A: Yes, the 2020-2021 FAFSA is available for renewal at

Q: How can I be assisted with my financial aid questions?

A: As campuses are closed, students must have a financial aid password established prior to any release of information via email. We will continue to update this as information changes.

Due to the higher than normal volume of emails, students should expect a delay of 48-72 hours for a response. 

Q. How can I help expedite my inquiry?

A. The subject line should indicate the purpose of the email, and include the school year it is for 2019-2020 or 2020-2021.


  • If you are submitting forms listed in your "To do list";  your subject line "pending items 19/20 FA", 
  • If you are submitting your City Password Form; subject line "password form",
  • If you are inquiring on a lost check; "loss/missing check",
  • If you completed your to do list items, and are inquiring on your FA award; "File status needed-FA 19/20 or 20/20 

Your email must include:

Your full legal name,

College Id number,

Financial Aid Password, (not your FASFA log in)


If you do not have a password set up you will have to submit the password form with a copy of your state or government issued ID.



Q: How will dropping / Excused withdraws (EW) from courses affect my financial aid?

A: Dropping or withdrawing from classes may or may not affect you immediately or in the future.

  • On Friday, March 27, 2020, The President of the United States signed into law the 2020 CARES Act. This act provides administrative relief to students and schools alike. If a student withdraws from school due to COVID-19, the student will not be responsible for repaying any federal student aid that the calculation identifies as a student responsibility. It further benefits the student by authorizing schools from excluding in the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) calculation any unit for which the student withdrew as a consequence of COVID-19 pandemic if the student fails SAP and is 3 required to submit an appeal.

Q: How will my enrollment be reported to NSLDS if my enrollment is disrupted due to closure of campus because of the Coronavirus?

A: Reporting will continue to be sent to NSLDS. Institutions can enter into temporary consortium agreements with other institutions to allow students to complete and transfer in coursework from another institution, but be awarded credit at their home institution.

Q: Can I still get financial aid if all of my classes become online?

A: Yes. However, if you enroll in all online classes and your home or mailing address reflects any of these states, a registration hold will be placed on your account and or dropped from your classes if already enrolled prior to address update. You will not be eligible for financial aid.

Check here for an up to date list of restricted states and territories.

Q: Will the processing time for my financial aid be impacted because of campus closure?

A: Although we will continue to package and award students. The actuall issuing and processing times of disbursement will be impacted during campus closure. The second PELL disbursement has changed to May 6, 2020.

Q: Will I still be able to get a disbursement?

A: Yes, we are continuing to disburse funds. Students are encouraged to check the mailing address on their mySDCCD portal to ensure payments are not delayed. 

Q: I submitted my 2020-2021 financial aid application. How will I know if they received it?

A: Notifications will be sent in late April to all students whose applications we have received. Your student portal will be updated with 2020 – 2021 aid year information once we receive your financial aid application.

Q: Will my loan continue to accrue interest?

A: After President Trump's announcement of freezing interest on federal student loans as part of the National Emergency Declaration. Loan servicers are providing current status updates on their websites. 


Q: The college has closed and I am a Federal Work Study Student and my on-campus job is not available, do I still get paid?

A: Yes, students that started their jobs and are not currently allowed to work due to campus closure can still get paid.  Please contact your FWS coordinator if you have any questions.

Q: Will mySDCCD still be available?

A: Yes, mySDCCD is still available and accessible at

Q: Will I be able to go to the campuses if I need help in person?

A: No, due to the health and safety of our students, staff, faculty and overall community, we will be closing down the campuses and the District Office as per recommendations and orders from state and county authorities.

Q. I have a question about pre-requisites, who can I contact?

A. Please email

Q: Will Counseling services still be available?

A: E-Counseling services may be available at your campus.  Please contact your counseling office for more questions.

Q: I need to contact Evaluations regarding my graduation, transfer, or transcript evaluation?

A: You can contact evaluations by emailing

Q: How do I order transcripts?

A: You can order transcripts online via mySDCCD.  Transcript processing will still continue.  You can also email if you have any questions.

For more information about outgoing transcripts visit:

For more information about sending transcripts to San Diego City, Mesa or Miramar College email:

Q: Are all campus events cancelled?

A: Yes, currently all campus events have been cancelled until further notice. No decision has been made regarding Commencement.

Q: Will there still be a commencement ceremony?

A: The City, Mesa, Miramar, and Continuing Education commencements, which were scheduled to take place in late May and early June, are being postponed due to the prohibition against large group assemblies and due to the need for us to give timely notice to the vendors who provide the academic regalia and other items for these events.

Q: I only have a few classes remaining for graduation/transfer and they are being cancelled, what can I do?

A: We recommend that you speak with a Counselor to discuss your options.  Most counseling services are expected to resume Monday, March 23rd.

Q: Will the Title IX Office still be open?
A: Yes, the Title IX Office and other campus support services will remain open and available to assist students at this time.
In the event of a campus/district closure, the Title IX Office will continue to review incoming reports and respond appropriately.

Q: Who can I reach out to if I need to report a Title IX related incident?

A: You can still report an incident to the Title IX Office using the online reporting form Title IX Complaint Form, or contacting the Title IX Office by phone at 619-388-6660.  We will be reviewing reports as they come in and responding within 48 hours.

If you have an urgent question or concern regarding Title IX, please contact the Title IX Coordinator at

If you are in an emergency situation, please contact 9-1-1 for immediate assistance.

Q: Who can I contact if I, or someone I know, needs support because of experienced sexual violence or intimate partner violence and needs support?

A: If you or someone you know has experienced sexual violence or intimate partner violence, contact the Campus Advocate at 619-541-5970 or for resources and assistance. The Campus Advocate is a confidential resource for both students and employees, and any details relating to your incident will not be reported to the District without your consent.

You can find additional information and resources in the Intimate Partner Violence Resource Guide.

Q: I'm currently involved in an open case with the Title IX Office. Are these concerns still being reviewed and addressed by the Title IX Coordinator?

A: Yes, the Title IX Office will continue to review and investigate current cases and to new reports of Title IX incidents. The Title IX Coordinator will continue to respond to concerns in a timely manner; however, there may be delays in the review and investigation process during this time.

Q: What is the status of my Promise application?

A: Thank you for your interest in the San Diego Promise Program. All Fall 2020 applications are under review. Given the current circumstances, we expect to send students an email with a status update on their application by the end of April 2020. Please keep in mind that this is subject to change based on the current conditions. We appreciate your patience.

Q: Can I still submit a Promise application?

A: Yes, students are advised to continue submitting Fall 2020 Promise applications via the San Diego Promise Program webpage:

For questions or concerns, please contact our Outreach office:

City College, First Year Services

Q: Where can I find support and training for Canvas, Zoom, and other services?

A: Please refer to the March 2020 Update from the Professional Development office, which lists various resources for employees get the support and training you need. This will be updated daily as more options become available.

Q: What resources are available?

A: We have partnered with multiple organizations including food provision organizations-

Food Resources

*Imperfect Produce Making produce affordable is important to us. Unfortunately, the USDA does not allow online grocery companies like Imperfect to accept SNAP and other benefits. However, we offer a reduced-cost box for anyone that meets the requirement for CalFresh/SNAP/EBT benefits. Check this box and we'll send you a survey to confirm your qualification for a 33% discount. (students will only see this information once they are ready to input their payment option.   

Cal Fresh
Go to
*Proof of identity is necessary to be evaluated for expedited services (within 3 days).
You can also apply on-line through and Submit documents right from your phone! Call 2-1-1.

Call Access at 1-(866) 262-9881 to request application forms by mail. Access can mail an application to you. Send the completed application to the local Family Resource Center via U.S. mail or drop it off at your local Family Resource Center. The date of application is the date the application is received by the Family Resource Center. It is very important to send proof of identity to be evaluated timely should you be eligible for expedited services (receive Cal Fresh benefits within 3 days).

San Diego Hunger Coalition Cal fresh application support: 1-(858) 863-6635
Complete as much of your application as you can. Your name, address and signature are necessary to begin the application process.

Download the Notice to CalFresh Applicants (form 09-94 HHSA / form 09-94 HHSA SP) for additional information, to help you complete the application, and to select your interview preference (in-person or telephone interview).
Send the completed application and documents to your local Family Resource Center via U.S. mail, via fax, or drop them off at your local Family Resource Center. It is very important to send proof of identity to be evaluated timely should you be eligible for expedited services (receive CalFresh within 3 days). The date of application is the date the application is received by the Family Resource Center.

Q: Can you refer me to housing assistance?

A: SD City has negotiated Discounted Rates with TOWNEPLACE SUITES BY MARRIOTT
1445 Sixth Avenue • San Diego, CA 92101
They are offering special discounted rates for anyone associated with SDCC. If any faculty, staff or students are displaced due to the pandemic, please feel free to reach out to:
Michelle Guillory
619.782.6400 ext. 101

Q: Where can I get assistance attaining technology such as a computer?

A: The following are assisting us in providing these materials. Also, please look for campus announcements throughout the year.

Q: I am going through some challenges right now and I need help?

A: We always recommend utilizing our campus Metal Health Counseling at

And we also hope the following may help as well:

Q: Where can I access the internet?

A: Stay tuned for more WiFi hotspots. The following are provided through different companies:

Comcast offering free internet to help with coronavirus impacts

SPECTRUM  To get free Wi-Fi hotspots

Cox is offering the following over the next 60 days, through May 15:
A $19.99 offer for new Starter internet customers with a temporary boost up to 50 Mbps download speeds, no annual contract or qualifications to help low income and those impacted
Also they have opened Cox Wi-Fi outdoor hotspots to help keep the public connected in this time of need.


Q: What resources are available to assist with a change in my employment?

A: Please apply for unemployment insurance at

We also recommend contacting United Way: San Diego COVID-19 Community Response Fund. Have you been impacted by job loss or wage reduction? Are you in need of support with paying your rent/mortgage or utility bills? We can help. 



Return to Online Student Services